Continued – Part 2………….
ROAD TRIP’N continues our journey to find the best lookouts in Brisbane. In our Brisbane Lookout’s series, we are exploring two new locations with unsurpassed views of the City and Brisbane River. Lookouts with picnic / BBQ facilities and green spaces to walk and cycle and we’ll visit a cafe that is perched high on the side of the cliffs looking down on all the action below.
Here’s our guide to more of the best lookouts in Brisbane and it’s only a stones throw from the Brisbane CBD.
With impressive views across the Brisbane River to the City and beyond to the mountains, the Kangaroo Point Cliffs and lookout are a day trip mecca and just the perfect place to chill out and enjoy.
Combined with open parklands, walking and cycle tracks, BBQ’s and well-maintained picnic facilities the area is a hive of activity. Feeling adventurous you might consider abseiling the cliffs, which are very popular with climbers of all experiences, or tackle the Kangaroo Point Cliffs stairs which lead to the River Terrace Park below (there’ll be more info on this park in upcoming Blogs).
There are several ways to take advantage of all of this and the best part it is mostly free (You must pay at the café). If you are walking, starting at the Southbank precinct passing The Maritime Museum, follow the path that winds its way besides the river to the River Terrace Park. Climbing the stairs to the summit will bring you to the Kangaroo Point Lookout where the Cliffs Café awaits, and you can reward yourself for all that effort.
Perched on the top of the Kangaroo Point Lookout right on the cliffs, the Cliffs Café provides unsurpassed views to the north, south, east and west from which to enjoy a meal or beverage. With the open parklands next door, there is plenty of room for the kids to have a run around and is an ideal spot for almost any occasion.
This is also a great location if your bringing BYO picnic goodies. If your driving, there is plenty of street parking available. Some are metered, some are free but keep an eye on the free spots as they can have time limitations. There are several BBQ’s with tables and benches situated amongst the shady trees and the views, well I just can’t say any more about the views, they just go on forever.
The Kangaroo Point Lookout / Cliffs is an excellent place for a day trip. You can do a little or a lot. Visit the café or BYO picnic goodies, walk, cycle, drive, cruise on the river either way you’ll be able to enjoy some of the best views in Brisbane.
What to Know Before You G0:-
- Admission: Free
- Transport: Buses, Ferries, City Cats all service this area. Click on Translink for all options and time tables.
- Taking the car: On street parking available. Metered and unmetered parking available.
- Picnic Facilities: BBQ’s, tables and chairs. Some are situated amongst gardens and shady trees.
- Café: Yes – Cliffs Café. Check the website for opening times, food & drink options.
- Toilets: Yes – Clean toilets at the Cliffs Café.
- Accessibility: Flat sealed paths around the summit of the Cliffs with steep stairs linking to the River Terrace Park.
Wilsons Lookout (cnr Bowen Terrace & Moray Street, New Farm)
Tucked away in New farm just off bustling Brunswick Street is a little piece of green space probably rarely visited except by those in the know yet it offers some of the most stunning views of the City, River and Kangaroo Point.
With the Story Bridge in the background Wilsons Lookout is perched high on the New Farm Cliffs giving you unparalleled views of the City Skyline both day and night.
Although this is a small park, there are a few tables and benches scattered amongst the trees but far enough apart to give you your own personal space to set up your BYO goodies or throw the picnic blanket on the ground. The choice is yours but no matter which way you go, you’ll still have those unsurpassed views in the background.
What to Know Before You GO:-
- Admission: Free
- Transport: Public Transport is available. Click here Translink for all options and time tables.
- Taking the car: On street parking available.
- Picnic Facilities: Tables and benches, situated amongst shady trees.
- Café: No. Wilsons Lookout is situated very close to New Farm where there are plenty of pubs, café’s and take-away’s.
- Toilets: None available.
- Accessibility: Easy walking around the Lookout.